Monday, July 6, 2015

Tips to Stop Falling Off the Weight Loss Wagon



As I have many, many times, I am sure you all have experienced the same thing: You are all super excited about getting healthy and losing the extra pounds, you get your plan all set up and laid out, you plan all your meals and prep every week, but then somewhere along the way, you find yourself face down in a cupcake.

I totally get it. Life happens. Snacks are brought and left in the office break room, you have weekly girls' night dinners, holidays, parties, etc...the list goes on. The first time you slip, you feel this huge amount of guilt---"why did I just do that???" "Well screw it, I blew my diet." .....here comes the down spiral! All of a sudden you've gained back all the weight you tried SO hard to lose, your muscle definition is no longer there, and you feel completely sluggish. You think to yourself, "crap, now I have to start ALL over again."

I know first hand how hard it can be to stay motivated and excited about your workout regimen. Do not set yourself up for unrealistic expectations. Know that a person cannot just completely change their actions and lifestyle over night. Small actions that you practice EVERY DAY will soon become habits, but this takes a lot of TIME and PATIENCE!

Here are some of those pesky pitfalls:

#1: Getting bored
It doesn't matter who you are or what you enjoy doing, but starting something new is ALWAYS super exciting. However, once the initial excitement wears off, humans- by nature -get bored. I have seen this in my monthly challenge groups, and it is SO important to spice things up about every 2-3 weeks to keep yourself interested and excited.

#2: SQUIRREL!
When it comes to pretty much anything, we tend to have very short attention spans, and want results...like yesterday. I fall totally victim to this---I don't know how many times that I've started a program or changed my diet, that I literally think I will have a 6 pack overnight.

#3: Wait, I actually have to WORK?
I honestly have no idea why, but so many people think that just by getting an IDEA of starting a new routine, that they will see results. So many times we tend to want a change, but we do not actually understand or really take the steps it requires to get results. It's a state of mind as such: "I really want to lose these extra 15lbs, but I just can't give up my morning Venti Frappuccino. It's just not happening. They make me happy, and they're delicious." I hear things like this ALL the time, and it's just an issue that needs tough love. You NEED to make those small changes to get the results you want. What makes you happier? Your venti, sugary coffee concoction with a blueberry muffin, or losing your extra weight and feeling less sluggish?

#4: Unrealistic Expectations:
Yes, it would be nice if we could just snap our fingers, tone our problem areas and lose those unwanted lbs just like that. Sadly, this is not how it works. Theres a common saying out there that goes something like this: "You did not gain 40 lbs in a month, don't expect to lose it in a month." We also need to understand that we all have different bodies and body types. I struggled with this for a long time. I used to want nothing more than to be a super lean, slender, model type body. With my swimming background, super broad shoulders with very athletic legs and arms, I had to understand that that was just not realistic....unless I just never ate food---which would never happen because I LOVE to eat. Find a dream body based on YOU, not what you see in a magazine, or even based off of your friends. You are beautiful. Just focus on eating clean and healthy, exercise daily, and know you will get to where you want to be.

Now that I have addressed these pitfalls of a fitness journey, you're probably wondering what the heck to do about it! Here are some ways you can overcome these self- sabotages.

#1. Look at the Big Picture
Look at what you are trying to accomplish, and link this to all aspects of your life. Plan vacations, dinner dates, parties, etc around your new lifestyle. Make sure you understand that a healthy lifestyle is not an overnight thing or a fad diet. This is a LIFE change. Surround yourself with friends and family who support you and understand why you are doing this.

#2. Be Mentally Ready
Like I said above, make sure you are mentally aware that this will take time. This will come with a lot of trial and error, and could take months-years to find extreme success with. Try reading or listening to Personal Development books. The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy is one of my all time favs. He discusses how small actions repeated every single day will soon become natural habits in your life - such as brushing your teeth. You just need to be mentally aware of practicing there tasks Every. Single. Day.

#3. Be Realistic: We're All Human
Understand that slip-ups will happen. No one is perfect! There is no better sense of self-acceptance and love than accepting your weaknesses. If you know you cannot even have 1 bite of cake without devouring the entire thing (me), then don't even take a bite. To curb your sweet tooth, have some fruit with greek yogurt...it will work! If you are going to a BBQ or its Holiday time and you know there will be foods that will trigger an all out binge, have a healthy meal before you attend. That way you can relax and have a good time without being stressed about what you're eating. Remember, this will not be easy, and it's not always going to be fun. Sticking to your meal plan is not all ribbons and bows, and I know there will be times you want to tell yourself "just this once." Let me tell you first hand from someone who has been there, its never 'just this once." Take the steps necessary to stay on track.

#4. YAY ME!
Make sure you celebrate all of your successes! It's so easy to focus on the negatives, but understand that you are a work in progress, and while slip ups will happen, there are 100 positives you have accomplished to that 1 negative.

#5. Have a Strong Support System:
I cannot express enough how important it is to have a great group of people, or even a single person, who supports and encourages you 1000%. Find a group of likeminded people who are working towards a similar goal, and work together. This could be through one of my Accountability Challenge Groups or even a girl you've seen in your spin class. Maybe you live with your significant other or family members. Make sure they know that you are starting a new, healthy lifestyle, and ask for their full support. Remember, they love you, and they will stand beside you through everything. Make sure your support system is there to help you stay on target. When you feel like skipping a workout or going through a drive-thru, give them a call, shoot them a text, anything to help kick you back on track.




**Ideas from this post inspired by an article written by Esther Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment